Vauxhall Cresta PA, Alpine Green & Glade Green
Vauxhall launched the PA Series Velox/Cresta range in October 1957 using the dual names to donate what was effectively different trim levels for the same car. The more expensive Cresta featured two-tone paint, whitewall-tyres, more chrome and other luxury features but cost £715 (£1073.17s with tax) when launched, £60 more than the Velox. They were mechanically identical however, and remained so when substantially updated in 1960 with a host of mechanical and stylistic changes including a new larger straight-6 engine, bigger curved radiator grille and single-piece rear-window. The revised range was replaced by the more soberly styled PB in October 1962 after a total of 173,764 PAs had been produced at Vauxhall's Luton plant.
The car modelled was first purchased from Manchester-based Vauxhall dealer Sid Abrams by Horace Swift and registered in Salford on May 1st 1962. He sold the car to second owner, Oldham-based George Holland, on September 21st 1964 and he sold the car to current custodian Stephen Bottomley from Huddersfield on April 15th 1985. At this time it had covered around 35,000 miles and was in good original condition. Stephen used it regularly until 1996 when he locked the wheels while braking to avoid a car that had pulled out and, although he didn't impact anything, twisted the front subframe and front suspension because of the sheer braking force. This eventually triggered a complete strip down and restoration which was completed in 2005.