The A1 Class, which numbered 49 locomotives in total, has usually been accredited to A H Peppercorn of the LNER, but in reality their construction was authorised when Thompson was still the CME at Doncaster. The first 16 were authorised for construction at Doncaster, in October 1945, followed by an additional 23 in 1946, built at Darlington.The remainder of the Class was built at Doncaster in 1949. Tenders linked to Darlington engines had countersunk (flush) rivets, whilst Doncaster tenders had snap-head rivets clearly visible on their surfaces. Originally the locomotives were un-named, but later took names removed from Class A4?s, whilst others were named after previous CME?s, and a few named after constituent companies which formed the LNER. On their introduction, the A1?s were allocated to principal sheds between London and Edinburgh on the East Coast Main Line, working many of the prestigious expresses. The arrival of Type 4 and ?Deltic? diesels on the WCML saw the A1?s quickly withdrawn from service, sadly after only fifteen years working life.
BACHMANN 32-554 CLASS A1 W.P.Allan Doncaster Green British Railways
Out of stock
SKU: BH32-554 Category: Steam Locomotives